Thursday, July 21, 2011

My boss decided to go out for happy hour with me and Kristin on Tuesday.  Quite out of nowhere.  We walked over to McCormick and Schmicks and he determined we should get an early dinner with our drinks.  We had a lovely time.  But, somewhere in the course of it, Kristin decided to let out something she never should have let out (the downfall of working with your sister- she has a lifetime of experience to teach her your strengths, and weaknesses).  She said, "If you want Katrina to do it, you don't need to pay her, you just need to dare her."  I knew this was bad.  Right when it came out of her mouth.  How did he use this information against me?  Immediately, "Okay, I dare you to finish 15 closing files a week."  This has been a point of contention since I started.  I was originally brought in to work on these closing files, because the girl who had my job did not have time to do them.  When I started, she took over working on them in the evenings.  He decided he didn't like that and wanted me to do them.  The argument had been going on between them long before I got here.  Now, he's taken away the overtime to do them, but still wants them done.  He's also added 3 other responsibilities  since I started.  I've been repeating over and over that I'm more than willing to do them, but can't get more than a couple done a week, and that's working really hard.  He dared me.  And at 2pm today, I just met it.  GRR.  The problem is, I can't keep this up every week, as I had to allow other responsibilities slide to focus on these.  He will ask more next week... remember the Rumpelstiltskin blog? :(

 I am going to wait until Monday at least to tell him I hit it... hoping I don't have another big stack when I arrive Monday.  You see, he figured out another thing about me, I hate having a dirty, cluttered area.  So rather than letting me go get the files, he piles them up on my desk so they surround me and I feel driven to get them out of the way.  It backfires though, because when things are unorganized and I feel I can't make them stay organized, I shut down and become less productive. :/ Guh.  Only, I hate being unproductive... so I guess that doesn't last long. 

On a brighter note, we had a mostly lovely chat this morning, Kristin, LBL and I.  When I walked in (15 minutes early) and back to his desk, he said, "Oh Katrina, you've gotten into the clothes closet again.  You are very inventive.  Some women, they buy a skirt and a matching top.  When they wear the skirt, they put on that shirt every time.  Not you.  I think you must buy every piece individually."  He meant it as a compliment, and I took it as one. I like being inventive, even with my clothes, and today is one of my favorites outfits... I feel very much like me.  :) 

I also feel pretty good about meeting the dare. ;)  I don't do well backing down from a challenge.  I can... and will if I know I really should, but boy how I hate it!

No comments: