Friday, July 22, 2011

On the list of Things I Like:

When people don't market.  I love that Kate & Tom have never really pushed their music or set about marketing themselves.  Authentic.  That's one thing I loved about The Sweet Life in Paris.  The author described how different the culture is in Paris.  No one markets their products, be it cheese, chocolate or dry cleaning.  If it's good, they believe it deserves respect and you're lucky if they let you buy it.  Here, we sell ourselves over a cup of coffee. Communication is key.  Selling yourself is not.  If you've got a good product, and clear avenues to make it available to people, I feel like you don't need to sell yourself and chalk people and relationships off as a network.  I know there is a balance, and I understand I am not a master at business, but I want to believe that authentic, quality products and people will win out in the end, and when I come across them, I want to help them succeed.  I guess if I ever do write a book, that will be the real test.  We need people for it all, we  need people who have the right connections and who respect us and perhaps even care about us.  To be frank, most of my life I owe to exactly those sort of connections and people.  But I will never mark a person down as a network, or build a relationship for a connection. When I write a book, I'd almost like to keep it quiet.  It's probably arrogant of me to think that my book would be successful while I was trying to keep it a secret.  But, that's exactly what I'd like to imagine myself doing.  I don't want you to buy my book because I paid for people to find the words you want to hear about a book, or it was spammed across your Facebook.  Buy it because a friend whose word you take about good books told you they enjoyed it.  Buy it because you picked it up someplace when you were wandering all alone, and you fell in love with a sentence you found inside.  You walked away and it seemed wrapped around your heart and when you thought about it again the next day you almost imagined some little ocean opening up inside you that seemed like longing, but for what you couldn't say.  It felt like your favorite musical piece that lead you to cry when you first felt the rhythm and heard the melody swell up inside your own throat. And if you go back and buy it,  never telling another about it, but keeping it as your own and your favorite.  I'll like you just the same. 

Just a thought.  From a girl who's worked in marketing for nearly 5 years.  Odd, perhaps.  I love communicating good products.  I don't like schemes, smoke screens or recycling "key words." Forget the fanfare, find a need and share a solution.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow... You're getting better all the time, Honey.. Good Suff.. and well said, uh written ;-)