Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I am going camping this weekend with a big ol' group of people.  I'm not even sure I know all of them, but the core is some Blueberries.  Erik and I volunteered to handle food for a few of us.  (Or, did I volunteer Erik and I to handle food?  :/  Sorry, Erik.)  Thanks to my amazing older sis, Kim, I am set.  She and Jason organize a camping trip for the community group each year and so I assumed she'd be a great resource camping food ideas.  (When is she not a good resource when it comes to cooking?!)  But my expectations were blown away when she emailed me her previous camping list, with a complete breakdown of meals, drinks, supplies and gear.  I don't really know what I'd be doing without her, since I also realized yesterday that I had left myself one evening to shop, prep food (with Erik, thankfully), do laundry, find my gear, and pack! That would be tonight, after work. 

I could not be more excited.  Okay. Yes, I could.  I would be more excited if Meg would email me back, "I am coming too!" But, besides that, I could not be more excited.  We have our menu all picked out - some from Kim, some of our own ideas.  We have our shopping list.  And our drink requests (what, did you thionk we were handling food for free?  Oh no, we're adapting to someone's Bartering life-style).  The two other guys we're covering food for arrived last year at the camping trip with a thing of peanut butter, a head of lettuce and two snuggies. So, we don't have much to live up to. ;)  But even if we did, I think we'd still surpass the expectations.  I hope. 

The real issue I've spent most of my time considering:  What book(s) should I bring?  I'm still halfway through HP5.  It is such a big book that I don't cart it around - I only read it at home.  I also began Everything Beautiful Began After, which is my smaller "bus book."  AND, I need to have read the first 500 pages of The Count of Monte Cristo by next Thursday.... which I haven't even picked up yet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to hear all about it!