Monday, May 07, 2012




Summer has come to mean Tennessee for me.  Nearly every summer since high school graduation has brought a trip to Nashville.  Days like today, where the sun starts to pour through the windows like the country music pouring through my headphones, my heart starts to wish for those back roads and green hills.  Knowing that two of my very good friends are currently there, sipping coffee at Crema and filling up on sweet tea and pulled pork and fried corn just makes it that much worse. 

Every trip to Tennessee reminds me who I am, and seems to remind me where I am.  I come home from each visit so much more comfortable in my identity, more confident.  Something about their air puts me at ease with life and all its uncertainties, struggles, and blessings.  It's just a place I love.  And of course, it's home to two of the most special people in my life. 

It's as if every trip I'm spending quality time with three people I love:  Kimberly, Jason, and Tennessee.  My heart needs each of them.  And I'll be eagerly awaiting whenever I next get to visit.

PC: Adam Carpenter

.

7 comments:

Morgan said...

fried corn!!! people have been keeping secrets from me. Imma gonna find me somma dat!

- note written from Crema -

Unknown said...

Tennessee misses you as well! We saw our first lightning bug the other day and I thought of you! And to further entice you - snuggly pups, front porches, POSH, Hot & Cold, Jenni's Ice Cream, long warm summer nights, cicadas chirping, rolling green hills, SYTYCD, drive-ins with burgers & blankets, white sprawling fences and an abundance of kudzu!

Love you mean it!

Katrina Hope said...

GAAAAHHHH! TOO MUCH! Kimmers, what is the name of the neighborhood you took me to where we had Hot & Cold and Jenni's? I bet Morgan would love that place!

Also, Morg's, my favorite fried corn is at Corky's which is totally a chain over there I believe and Km & Jason always laugh at me, but I make one visit there every time - I think there's one in Franklin. Kim can give you more details.

Anonymous said...

What happened to San Fran & Cali??

Unknown said...

Hot & Cold and POSH are located at Hillsboro Village in Nashville. Jenni's Ice Cream is also sold at Hot & Cold ;-)

Corky's is actually in Brentwood, TN off Highway 65, 15 minutes from Nashville.

Another must for grubbin southern food is The Copper Kettle which is right nearby Crema in downtown Nashville. Sooooo good.

Unknown said...

Oh and Germantown has some yummy food too! Germantown is part of downtown Nashville - there's Cupcake Collection, which is the best cupcakes in all of Nashville, and then Germantown Cafe, a nicer dining experience but affordable. Also really popular and trendy is Burger Up, locally grown meats & cheeses, organic food - delicious, in the 12th South Area of Nashville, again close to downtown.

Katrina Hope said...

Oh you took me Burger Up last time - it was delicious!!!! And a cool atmosphere. Thanks, I'll pass all these on!