Friday, May 04, 2012

I have this strange affinity to things I can eat from the yard.  Not just tomatoes carrots and other things gardeners typically grow in their vegetable garden.  No, as a kid, my mom showed me a number of plants I could and could not put in my mouth.  Why? I don't really remember, but it probably had something to do with all the "salads" Elise and I would make for Tyson and Robert to "eat" - you know, the magically healing kind that restores great warriors from deadly battle wounds. 

Whatever the reason was, I learned that foxglove (the bell-like flowers scattered around the borders of our house in purple spotted hues) can stop your heart, pansies are safe as a piece of lettuce.  Rose petals are fine. Mint, obviously, just rinse and chew.  Somehow this came up in conversation last weekend, and I proceeded to make Meg share a pansy with me. 

Of course, I love picking rosemary, mint, basil, tomatoes and the array of other greens we've planted over the years too.  There is just something lovely about gathering from your own garden and tossing it in a salad, or on a cake, or in a tea.  That is why this weekend, I am definitely hoping to sneak away to the May Edible Plant Sale

Come to our May Edible Plant Sale and take advantage of the largest selection of organically, sustainably and locally grown vegetable plant starts in the Puget Sound region. The May Edible Plant Sale is FREE and takes place on Sat. and Sun., May 5 and 6, 9 a.m.-3 p.m at Meridian Park (4649 Sunnyside Ave. N, Seattle 98103). 
If any of you have been considering home brewing, it's also a great spot to pick up some hops (says the office home-brewer who shared this event with me). ;) 

1 comment:

samara said...

showing off your Katniss skills... I like it =)