Sunday, January 31, 2010

I just have to say:






My sister Kristin in an unbelievable sister. In being a sister, she has never failed.








She's driven me to soccer practices, protected me, loved me, bought me my dream dress and heals for my first dance, made me believe I'm brilliant, unique, funny, beautiful, adorable, and loved. She's surprised me for no reason at all with a gerber daisy or iced white mocha at school, bought me a beautiful necklace with the prettiest garnets (my birthstone) I've ever seen. That's just like her too, to take something about me that I don't see as beautiful, and show me that it is. A garnet, I'd always believed to be an ugly cheap brownish stone- she found the rarest ones and they glow like fire, and she bought me a burning cross to wear upon my chest. I cry each time I think back to how she'd wake me up at 4am to go open with her at Pete's Coffee, buy me some breakfast and make me a hot chocolate while I studied at dawn. Then she'd take her lunch break to run me to school in the morning. She'd pick me up at 3pm and drive me to Redmond, we'd get dinner and then she'd drop me off at practice. She'd read a book or go rock climbing, or for a run at the park and then she'd be waiting for me after practice was done.

She's my big sister, and I've never known another to embody such self-sacrifice, love, and commitment for a sibling. She's spent all her money and time on me- sometimes not because I needed it, but because she knew I wanted it.


We've said terrible things to one another (not often, but we have), we've teased one another, and mostly we've laughed and chatted for hours in the midst of our family- them wondering what the heck we are even talking about and why exactly it's funny. We've even been kicked off a family vacation, together. We've shared secrets. We've stepped up to lines, sometimes standing on opposite sides, and we've told the other we respect their decision, because we know the strength and faith in the other's heart.

I know I don't see everything the same as my sister. I know I don't think through things the same way. I know I am created differently, and called to accomplish different things. I know I want to love and give myself the way she has to me. I know I want to make her feel brilliant, beautiful, unique and funny like she has me. I know I want her to know I love her, respect her and really do want the world to see just how magnificent she is. I want them to know that there is always more then they will ever see or know- luckily I am her sister, and a sister always gets the privilege of seeing, feeling and sharing what no one else can quite know or understand.

I owe my sister Kristin more than any of you will ever know. She's held me up, even while both of our hearts were falling, in hopes that she might at least cushion my fall.

I get mooshy over all those cheesy sister quotes, because for us three, they're real.


Lord, bless Kristin. Give her strength to finish her B.A. strong- let all that she's poured out for me, be given back to her doubly so. Cover her, guard her, guide her, delight her with Yourself. Let your joy and strength be her comfort. You oh God really are our mighty fortress! Reveal to her your delight in her, and give her even more passion and vision of who You've created her to be. Fulfill the dreams you've placed in her heart. Let this really be her year.

Love you Krissy Poo-Poo.

XOXO.
Ubi-boobie

2 comments:

Kristin Kelly said...

Thank you little sister. You made me cry.
Love you.

Katrina Hope said...

I love you.

CRIED? Glad I could help get you emotionally unconstipated ;) (hehehee.)

If it's any consollation, I cried like a baby through half of that post. You walked into my room right after I'd finished... thats why I gave you a strange expression. Thats also why I felt I should give you the random rundown a few minutes later... while doing other things. ;)