Sunday, January 10, 2010

I love doors. I think you all know that about me. It started suddenly my Junior year of High School. While travelling through Italy I became infatuated with all these remarkably unique doors, to secret and exciting places. Unlike here, every house had beautiful doors that marked entry inside. There were gates to cities, alleys, yards- all the work of great artisans. Then there were the towering doors of cathedrals and Basilicas. I was always falling behind, trying to get an angle that showed the quality of 'that' door. My sister's camera was full of them.

From this, I started to love keys. While we were in Italy, on a crowded Roman street, I heard something fall. I scanned the ground and found a key. It was silver and common, could have been to any house in the city. I picked it up and looked around- only to realize I didn't speak Italian anyways and had no idea how to find who'd dropped it. I held it up for a few moments, and when no one seemed to care. I put it in my pocket. It hangs from a little blue string in my bathroom. The first of many keys I have collected and been given.

One of my favorites was given to me by Sherry Keith, my sister's mother-in-law. When I admired it on her key chain, she took it off and handed it to me. I often wear it on a long strand of hemp around my neck.

The other day a new friend asked me "What's that key to." A common friend stood between us and said lightly "her heart, obviously." I laughed and said no.

But if I were the heroine in some epic novel, I would have said this:

"Were it the key to my heart, I would not keep it so near it's chest."

I'd be clever and witty like that... and not days later while driving alone in the car reflecting, but on the spot.
____

I've been fasting all week (I just broke it an hour ago on French Onion Soup- yum!), and I've been repeating in my head the past few days, "My body grows weak, but my spirit breaths deep!" It excites me- my spirit feels alive! Today, I didn't want to stop fasting. I was contemplating carrying on, but I knew health-wise, I needed to eat. But I've decided fasting is too beneficial for me to NOT.... I want my spirit to keep coming alive, more and more ALL this year long. This is going to be a year of fasting for me. I hope that isn't to phariseeish for me to tell you all that. I don't care for your praise anyways... I'm just excited!

I don't expect this to be an easy year. In fact, I soberly recognize that this will likely be my most difficult next 2 quarters. I'm signed up for 18 credits this quarter, one of them an Honors course. I will be working 40 hours a week (hopefully), and I sense in my spirit many other challenges coming. But I also expect to grow, to grow strong in spirit, and to grow closer to the Lover of my Soul, and King of my life. So yes, I am excited. I am hopeful.

Old prophetic words I have remembered, but not focused on are heavy on my heart and I believe the Lord is about to start unveiling their meaning.

Now--- to homework... because I have today to live today. As do you. Love you all, glad you are in my life.

3 comments:

Jaelle Hamann said...

I have awesome pictures of keys and doors, I happen to love them also!!

Kristin Kelly said...

I do not know how to respond. You discussed way too many topics in one blog.
You are the heroine of your own story. Always live that way.
Listen to the Lord and your body both.
It's amazing how God often gives us the keys to doors for the future and we have to keep them to unlock the destiny we don't see but he warns us of in his whispers. : ) ( I wanted to be all poetic like you so I thought I would tie it all together.
Love you sister. You are amazing.

Abigail Renae said...

You amaze me Katrina. And the fasting is so worth it. I fasted sooo much last year. Its so cleansing. :)
Miss you.