Tuesday, March 16, 2010

2 Cor 12:9: But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

The Lord changed my way of thinking last night.

I've always thought its greater to have something to be arrogant about, and instead be humble. Like the value of my humility increased proportionally to the level of my success. Blantantly ridiculous and arrogant to admit now, but before yesterday, unconsciously, thats how I thought about it. But as you may already see clearly, that is still finding value in success and performance. Humility isn't about that at all. Humility is as valuable in the man on the street corner holding a sign as it is in the nobel-prize winning author. The man with the nobel prize may have a harder time being distracted by his own shiny achievements, but humility is genuinely not caring about your 'crowns.' It's value is not in us, in any way. The value of humility is that it is us setting our eyes on the Lord- and that is why it draws His attention. A humble heart belongs to the one who fixes his gaze on the Lord, and when we fix our gaze on Him, He moves to us, and for us. David had a humble heart... he fixed his gaze.

We cannot pursue greatness and success and at the same time pursue humility. We can pursue obedience; we can chase after His face; we can seek faithfulness. But we cannot carry our achievements down that narrow road. The cross takes two hands to carry.

Eph 2:9: not by works, so that no one can boast.

This is only part of the peace the Lord released to me yesterday- a process He began the day before as He reminded me that He is faithful to do what He has planned for my life. I am where I am called to be. I am here, I am being diligent and giving myself to the process and the work, beyond that I just have to trust He'll show up. And He always has, He always does. Yesterday morning I walked into my finals with a remarkable level of peace... I'd studied, and He was there and that's all I needed. Because while I want to get excellent grades... the only reason I need them is to open the doors He calls me to walk through. And as long as I'm in obedience (aka, studying), He'll make sure the doors open. We all know the doors He opens, no man can close. So there it is, peace. I took the test, and I walked away excited, not sure what my grades will be, but knowing I obeyed and waiting expectantly to see what doors get opened next.

Today, I am choosing that peace again as I wait to see if I will get to make up a missed lab, work on my term paper, and prepare for my architecture final (tomorrow morning). Aw, the Lord is faithful. He works things out for those who trust in Him

Isa 41:10: So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Rom 15:13: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. [probably my 'life-verse!']

Rom 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Phil 4:13: I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Prov 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Jer 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Rom 12:1: Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.

Gal 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Phil 4:7: And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Josh 1:9: Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Isa 40:31: but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Matt 6:33: But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Eph 2:10: For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

1 Pet 5:7: Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Matt 11:28: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

John 16:33: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

2 Tim 1:7: For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.




I am in love with the Word of God. His words feel like waters- refreshing my tired eyes with sweet tears, my weary heart with hope, and my exhausted heart with peace- joy flooding my spirit so it is strong enough to lead all my other faculties.

[Sorry if the above language is too flowery (as is my tendency), or sounds too typically religious, I feel it so passionately though- AW... The JOY of the Lord is my strength! I love Him. I love His love. Reading the scripture really does ignite me in every way!]

6 comments:

Steve said...

I liked what you had to say about humility. As deeply as I think about spiritual concepts, I never really thought of humility as having the same "value" across a wide spectrum of individuals with different talents and achievements.

I'll be following your blog from now on.

-Steve

Israel Alexander Portilla Gómez said...

Uao, this is interesting... already it is in my blog, and i can follow it...

I too have a blog... but spanish blog...

amarteimporta.blogspot.com

I am studing theology...

Huggs!

samara said...

I looove your "flowery" writing! As I was reading, I kept saying to myself, "Man! I wish I could write like this!" hahaha... no, it's so beautiful, as always ;)

Jaelle Hamann said...

We cannot pursue greatness and success and at the same time pursue humility.

I'm still trying to mull over your comment about pursuing greatness and having humility. If we're seeking a worldly definition of success that is measured by material worth then yes that's true! But what is success really? How are you measuring "success" because I would consider fruitfulness success. I think Aunt Marcy and Pastor Norm are wildly successful and abundantly fruitful but I think if they had cast aside their pursuit of humility before Christ to achieve God's dream, they wouldn't have any success to speak of, spiritual or material.They've brought thousands of people to Christ, published books and are starting new ministry programs that are bound to become world renowned. In my eyes this would seem like "pursuing success" or "achieving greatness." Does that mean they can't also be pursuing humility? If something can be accounted as "materially" successful does that devalue it's spiritual worth? Please tell me what you're thinking, I'd love to discuss this some more.

Katrina Hope said...

Jaelle, Good comment.

My argument was not that the material worth of something means it is not spiritually precious. And I think your argument about Aunt Marcy and P. Norm makes my exact point.

"I think Aunt Marcy and Pastor Norm are wildly successful and abundantly fruitful but I think if they had cast aside their pursuit of humility before Christ to achieve God's dream, they wouldn't have any success to speak of, spiritual or material."

That is my point, because Aunt Marcy and P. Norm aren't pursuing all the good things of "success" and being great themselves. They are walking in obedience. Their focus isn't on being known across the globe, those 'ministry programs' come out of what they see when they meet the Father's eyes and feel His heart. Christians SHOULD do miracles. And by most standards, we'd all want to call those "success," but our focus can't be fixed on making ourselves great, and at the same time "fixed" on God. I'm talking about focus... posture, not about the list of things one accomplishes in their life. I hope that when I look back in 40 years, I'll see a strand of people who were healed and cared for, books that changed opened people's eyes and hearts and gave them courage. I hope to see great miracles. And I hope even more that none of them will be the work of me pursuing my own greatness, but the blessings of seeking the Face of God, and doing what I find His eyes compel me to do.

We serve a Great God Jaelle, so of course if we seek His Face, and His Will, and His timing, and His way... and all the rest, we should be doing GREAT things. It's our focus I'm challenging. I still say, you cannot pursue greatness and success and at the same time pursue humility. You can't serve two masters. You can't seek to save your life (or make it), you'll forfeit all.

BUT, seek first the Kingdom of God, and all else will be added. And where else is the Kingdom, but where we find the King. Fix your gaze.

Jaelle Hamann said...

That's GREAT Katie! I guess I was lost on the point you were making. I talked about with my mom and we came to the same conclusion. Obedience. Are you obeying a selfish desire or righteous conviction of the Holy spirit? Following one or the other produces drastically different results and effects one's spirit differently. One harbors pride the other requires humility before God. Well I'm glad we chatted, I didn't think that was what you were saying but I had to ask to be sure. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!