Friday, March 12, 2010

Ever have one of those friends who become so dear to your heart, and then disappear?

I don't know how it is, but a friend in your youth can grow so close to your heart that even a decade later, you miss them. In grade school I became friends with a girl named Deborah Jeanne. We all called her Jeannie. I don't think I've cared more for a friend before or since. I've cared as much, but not more.

We'd go a year without seeing one another, but each summer it was like we'd never been apart. She had a rough life back in California and we tried several times to get her to move up here to Washington, in with some relatives. But when her family up here began to crumble as well, and her uncle disappeared I never saw her again. The last time I saw her was when my parents and I picked her up in California my 9th grade summer. We'd chat from time to time, every time was a little heartbreaking. I wanted her to be cared for and to get out of the situations she was in. I wanted her to be here.

I often pray about her, and wonder where she is. I've tried to find her, once thought I had. Lord, protect her and make Yourself known to her. Bring the people into her life who can guard and love her, and speak your truth to her. And if it's Your will, restore our friendship someday.

I miss you Jeannie Roberts.

No comments: