Thursday, September 29, 2011


This is probably one of the most incredible pictures I've seen. My first thought was, I'm going to do that on my wedding day. It seriously didn't strike me until just now, about an hour later, that neither of my grandmothers will be at my wedding. And that, that makes my eyes fill up with tears that quickly, surprises me. My mom's mom passed away when I was still a baby and yet because of how much my mom has shared with us all about her, I don't really realize that I never knew her. I feel as if I do know her, I still know her. And my Dad's mom passed away when I was about 12 I think. I knew her, and wish I'd known her more, and known her in her earlier years. My parents love and honor their parents, but still in so many ways they've been the "firsts" or "seconds." They're first generation Christians, and that changes everything to begin with, but there's much more than that. They're building generationally and parenting in ways their parents just never did. I'm excited for my children to one day know their grandparents.  Normally it doesn't get to me too bad, but still, there's times my heart aches for my grandma to be near, to know life in a generational way that I don't. To have a photo of my hand, my mother's, and my grandmother's, to have a symbol of the wives we've been and the families we've cared for. I'm so grateful for my mom, for all she's fought to learn and change. For how she's honored her mom, and transported her character into her daughters' lives and hearts. And for how she's added to the legacy by forgiving, growing, and learning many things as she goes. You're really remarkable mom.  

4 comments:

Elsa Juliet Walker said...

Beautiful, Katrina. I love this. My grandmother has my great grandmother's engagement ring. I hope I get to inherit it. My great grandmother was pursued and courted by her husband. While she was away at school, he would visit her family and help on the farm. They wrote letters back and forth during this time. My grandmother still has them.

Katrina Hope said...

That's so beautiful Elsa, what an incredible story. : ) I hope you get the ring, and especially those letters!

Kristin Kelly said...

We can just have somebody else's grandmawear our Grandma's ring. :)

Mama said...

Kati you make my life full of purpose and love. You are the diamond in my life. You sparkle in times when I loose focus on what being mama is all about. I love and you would bring great joy to Grandma and because she too wanted to be a writer.