Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Because I've spent time whining a bit about all the spreadsheets - or if not whining outright, hinting at it.  I'd like to take a moment so sit right there (I'll tell ya how I became the prince of a place called Weav-EHR)..  Sorry.  I just wanted to say, today I worked on spreadsheets, I hounded people to get me their missing details and descriptions and I got everything ready for invoicing... and I still liked my job.  A, I'm finally starting to understand and be able to keep straight 2012 Monthly Billing from Billing 2012 (which we do monthly).  I swear all the spreadsheets have basically the same name - and they all have to do with billing.  It doesn't lend itself well to this creative girl's tendencies.  Neither does the fact that every time I email a question to my boss, he insists on leaning over to me to answer it.  It kind of defeats the purpose I have - I need written answers.  I need to SEE words.  It's just how I am.  I don't learn nearly as well when I just hear.  :(

But, to the positive... I enjoyed today.  I was busy.  Really busy.  I'm finally at the place that I can start running with things and just figuring out what I can be working on.  I did invoicing and compiled a list of designers for a client, I emailed with engineers we may use, confirmed proposal deadlines, began ordering new business cards, created a new system for backing up the server, made a new spreadsheet for it, labeled and reorganized the tapes, coordinated with our IT guy to fix the plotter. And most excitingly, I was able to answer my bosses questions and actually be helpful without first giving him a very long blank stare as I try to wrap my mind around which spreadsheet he is asking me about!  (gah!!)  And best yet, he finally brought up getting me even more involved with the part of my job I'm most excited about - more proposals.  He asked me, "Katrina, how do you feel about contracts?"  "What do you mean?"  "Oh, I just thought you might be excited about them because they are connected with law."  "Well, I'm excited about them because they are connected to full sentences."  :)   ..."and Jarrod wants to start getting you more connected with the proposals, not just the big ones you've been doing but all of them.  I do too."  He then used words like "boilerplate"  which nearly made my heart race!  Yes, I can work on that!  We have a proposal due for another historic building next Thursday, another two weeks after that, invoicing for this month is well underway, there are all sorts of reorganization projects I'm starting to get ideas how to tackle, and new opportunities opening up for actual writing! PRAISE THE LORD.  

And on top of all of that, there's this small glistening hope in the horizon that appears from time to time - talk of what our next office space might be like when (if!) we finally move.  :)

It probably helped quite a lot too that today I packed a lunch, went and sat in our design library, and wrote through my break.  :)  I need to be creating!   And I need to write something worth publishing!!  I refuse to be the girl who never did what she dreamt about - never was what she said she was all about.  If nothing else, I refuse to make the people who believe in me regret it, and the people who overlook or dismiss me count themselves right.

3 comments:

Kristin Kelly said...

nobody who believes in you will ever regret it sister. I am so glad you are living your job! Hooray!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Good to hear! Jason was asking me just the other day how your writing was coming along ;-)