Monday, March 19, 2012

If you expect people to watch your life - you better start living something worth watching.

In a world where we find it common to post the details of our day down to favorite yogurt brand, exercise routines and the words coming out of our headphones we just assume that anything is worth a "like" from a friend.  One of my goals for this blog has always been to point out beauty and value in details and people that might be missed or overlooked.  I want people to live where they are.  But that said, I especially want people to live.  Really live.  The past few weekends I have gone to Cali, hiked a mountain to a winter wonderland and crawled into a cave on a cliff, run my first 5k, and spoken honestly with people I love.  This weekend will be a show premier with friends, some creativity time about how to make dreams happen, and a wedding of some dear friends.  I've been thinking more and more that I want to live a life that's actually worth sharing.  Not because the goal of my life is to be a show, but because I'm sick of dullness permeating everything.  And then when people get sick of dullness - them just filling their lives up with pointless "adventure" and excitement and song lyrics that really lead them no closer to those things on fire in their hearts.  I know nearly every one of you have heard, Catch on fire and people will come to watch you burn.  But I believe it.

I want to catch fire.  So, I'm feeding this little flame... and I'm hoping that others go alight too, if for no other reason than Facebook is boring and dull these days.  I already know that song, and yes I sing that line at the top of my lungs too.  I know that those fires get fed in seemingly ordinary ways - and what looks like a "check-in" to us, could in fact be the spark for a culinary start, but I'm sick of the dullness, of all the check-ins that aren't people coming alive, but just people filling their Facebook Timelines.  I'm sick of the lemmings. And I want to see some really big bon fires that perhaps even scare me a little, because even the revolution of artists have historically been a bit dangerous.  

I'm not saying we shouldn't post the things that we do, or share, or "like"  or check-in - I'm just saying they should be feeding something bigger.  If Facebook really is a place for us to all share our lives - it should be a whole lot more exciting than it is... not a place to recycle lyrics and crunches. 

3 comments:

anthea delvina said...

i. LOVE. this. and have been thinking about it a lot.

Kristin Kelly said...

I believe the revolution of artists is, in fact, the most dangerous revolution. Becuase as my dear friend V said, you can kill a man but you cannot kill an idea. :) Dream on Little Sister and Live alive.

Katrina Hope said...

@Anthea- for the record - your blog has become one of my favorite places to go - you are definitely fueling! I love it, I check it daily, wondering what might have happened since the last post!