Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Describe your dream job: 

I'm slightly challenged at the moment that the actual job part of my dream job is the hardest for me to describe.  I can fill in the borders around it more easily - you know, what it doesn't keep me from.  I know how my mornings start for my dream job - I get up, throw on shorts, tennis shoes and a sweatshirt - I fix my messy ponytail and head out the door.  When I return from my run, my house smells like coffee.  I jump in the shower and return in my work clothes - a cozy and cute sweater, leggings, and socks to keep my feet warm against the cold wood floors (of course, this is my dream, and my studio loft, or one bedroom suite is complete with rustic metal, high beam ceilings, some gorgeous fan, and beautiful wood floors).  I pour myself a steaming cup of coffee, open the front door and grab the paper, and return to my kitchen table or beautiful desk in the living room to catch up on the world.  As soon as that's done, I leave it.  I forget the world and write something beautiful.  Or, I write about my travels around that world.  I scroll through my thousands of photos that I have taken, and I draft the most moving and sometimes witty articles and stories known to the area. 

Sounds like a Meg Ryan movie... I know.  : / 

Really, I just want to be given opportunities to write about things that are interesting, creative and beautiful.  I know I do well with people, I can befriend most anyone (not that I always want to).  My dream job provides for me to be creative in my problem solving, and in my writing style.  And my dreamiest dream job also gives me lots of room about my content of writing.  Also, I have a quiet space to do it - and flexibility about where I do... I want to be able to work wherever I want, and with some flexibility about when I start and finish.  I love to get getting early!  But especially when that means I can wrap up my work before the best tanning hours are over.  ;) 

Dreams ay?  I know.  But it's worth asking yourself to actually outline it: what would be my ideal job?  That would be mine.   That has always been mine.  That is part of why I decided I wanted to be a writer.  And come 10 years, I'd love to add more sock-clothes little feet scampering around that hard wood floor while I sip my coffee and try to write something brilliant and meaningful.

All that said - I'm aware that my idea of that dream, may not in the end be what would most make me come alive. So here I am, not in my dream job, but soaking in every little detail and lesson and skill I possibly can, because I'm certain that today is exactly what I need.

No comments: