Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A few photos from last Friday: One of my favorite days of work to date. 
Touring a local historic steamplant.
Had you seen it from the outside, like me, you would not have expected to find such spectacular views and oddities inside.  We rounded a corner and began descending these stairs, suddenly overwhelmed by the 4 story atrium of windows and light-washed room.  Old machinery grows out of the floors.  And an old piano keeps them company.  How it came to be there, who knows?  But I'd have paid my monthly allowance to the musician who sat down to play it in that mechanic cathedral. The clerestory of windows along the top reminded me of no less as we climbed stairway after stairway after glorified ladder. When we returned from the roof and travelled to the far end we were led through a long dark room - architects being hurried along - I stopped for a second and quickly lost my place, and didn't mind.  There were boxes everywhere of old gas lamps, wire electrical inventions and wonders.  Things you'd search and search for in antique stores.  I turned to my left and there was an old steam engine... on tracks.  It had been stored away here, velvet cushions on the seats still.  I realized I better get back to the group, pull out my pen and catch up on the notes.  This week I'm working away on our proposal, and saying more than a prayer that we win the bid, and I have a few more opportunities to wander this mechanical cathedral of wonders.












No comments: