Wednesday, April 04, 2012

The concert photos below made me think of 10 Things I Hate About You, for some reason.  That was one of my favorite movies in high school.  In college, I wrote a final essay for my Senior Capstone Shakespeare class on the film as an adapatation of The Taming of the Shrew.  Turns out, it's brilliant.  After reading the play several times over, and watching every film adaptation I could find of it over the years, I discovered just how clever the writers of the film were being - the way they'd changed and graphed characters and plot, and why in relation to our culture.  I found clever hidden games they were playing, knowing 98% of their audience never would notice or care. 

All that said, it has me thinking of some of my favorite films over the years. 
Milo & Otis
Turner & Hooch
All Dogs Go To Heaven
The Little Princess
The Great Mouse Detective
The Secret Garden
E.T.
Beauty & The Beast
Aladdin
10 Things I Hate About You
Save The Last Dance
The Notebook
Garden State
Moulin Rouge

.... blanking on most.  What were yours...? The ones you'd watch over and over as a kid, or in highschool. I've made a point to buy most of mine over the past few years.

Shows I didn't love? The ones that when I'd walk into Elise's house and see her cuddled up on the couch with a bag of popcorn watching, I'd dart back out into the sunshine?  Anne of Green Gables and Polyanna.

PS - I'm pretty sure "Itchy" is the reason I still like stinky dogs - like I assume the worse they smell, the sweeter they must really be-  and "Charlie" is why I like trouble makers.  Dangit. 

Also, the most common thing I think I hear when falling in and out of dreams "You can never come back..."  and the line I've sung most times in my head out of nowhere, "Let's make music together.  Let's make sweet harmony." 

Childrens movies.  They can ruin you from the age of three.  Put you on the trajectory to "WEIRD". Watch out.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Somehow I am not surprised that your favorites include The Little Princess and The Secret Garden, which are alos among my favorite movies I watched when I was little too :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Katrina:) Welcome back:) Ahhhhh yes,I have many of those listed- some of them i believe i watched first with you;) Ahemahem..."I dance in circles, probably around you!" Keep up the good work girl! - Tif:)

Unknown said...

E.T.?!!?!?!?!!

Really?!

How is it that we are even sisters?