Tuesday, April 10, 2012

New York Times article on the trend in office spaces.... I would not mind working in the new Gates Foundation building.  Not one bit.

...The building was designed by NBBJ, a 700-employee architecture firm whose largest operation is in Seattle. The structure is a culmination of ideas about the 21st-century workplace that NBBJ has been exploring in corporate office designs worldwide, including its own offices here.

These are the main concepts: Buzz — conversational noise and commotion — is good. Private offices and expressions of hierarchy are of debatable value. Less space per worker may be inevitable for cost-effectiveness, but it can enhance the working environment, not degrade it. Daylight, lots of it, is indispensable. Chance encounters yield creative energy. And mobility is essential.

This isn’t a suddenly exploding trend. NBBJ’s research has found that two-thirds of American office space is now configured in some sort of open arrangement. But even as these designs save employers space and money, they can make office workers feel like so many cattle. So how to humanize the setting?

SEATTLE serves as a test tube because of several converging factors: There’s a lot of money here to experiment with projects. The work force is relatively young and open to innovation. And the local culture places a high value on informality, autonomy and egalitarianism. People will put in long hours under high pressure if they feel respected, but they won’t tolerate being treated like Dilberts...


[ Go read the whole article and look at the amazing photos here. Seriously]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not a fan. I could not work in such close proximity to others and be able to focus or feel like everyone is aware of my every move. I would seriously hate it. Every attorney (35ish) has their own office and they seriously can't be productive without focus and quiet - I'm the same way, its why I asked to be moved near my friend Angela so I could have quiet and concentrate, which makes me much more productive. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Those offices look like a classroom. AND it would have to be much more conducive to paperless environments, which unforunatley isn't the case in law firms.

Unknown said...

I'm not a fan. I could not work in such close proximity to others and be able to focus or feel like everyone is aware of my every move. I would seriously hate it. Every attorney (35ish) has their own office and they seriously can't be productive without focus and quiet - I'm the same way, its why I asked to be moved near my friend Angela so I could have quiet and concentrate, which makes me much more productive. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Those offices look like a classroom. AND it would have to be much more conducive to paperless environments, which unforunatley isn't the case in law firms.