Thursday, August 30, 2007

Another, randon quick post.

You know something I love, especially in girls. I love it when someone knows they have something special- or do somethign special- a talent, a gift, anything that would be admirable to others, and they don't feel they need to tell everyone. I'm not referring to talents which should be used to bless, encourage, or help others (I think our talents in that sense are usually given to us to bless others). I'm struggling to explain this. I guess I mean more of a possession, or a cool habit- and the person keeps it to themself, and perhaps a chosen few, until the time to reveal it (if that time ever comes). I really love it. I admire girls especially who can do this, I think for two reasons. One, we tend to be the ones who feel we need to display all our "greatness" or "uniqueness"- especially when we're young. Second, I think women espcially were created in such a way, as to be "hidden"- they should be sought out. I guess it is sort of true, women are mysteries- or should be, but too often aren't today. And mysterious enough that perhaps people don't recognize the mystery until they stop and take some time to look again, or a few more times.

This is becoming more than I intended it to be. It all sprung because I just thought of something a friend told me recently- which completely stunned me- not just because it was very cool what she actually said, but that I had never known it, and know that few others do too. When a girl, or I guess woman (I am still not used to using this term, obviously), has something that makes her special in one way or another, and treasures it enough to keep it hidden- I cannot help but respect her and mark her maturity.

Too often, I tell myself not to tell people something neat about myself or my life, but then I run around and toss it from person to person- so excited, and probably arogant and insecure. I definitely want to grow up more in this, and become more of the mature woman, who 'hides these things in her heart.' It's such a challenge sometimes though, finding how to do this, while also remaining vulnerable and open. I guess it really comes down to WHO you tell, and why. Believe it or not, I tend to keep too much to myself- not bad things (well, sometimes), just most deep things....so I've been learning to share those things in confidence.

I am learning more and more the value of being known by a few, rather than just knowing many. I'll take a close, faithful few over a bunch of 'fun buddies' any day, and I'll trust them with my secrets.

3 comments:

Rachel Sarah said...

The fact that you are contemplating this subject shows maturity. Keep pressing into the Lord... He'll tell you when to share and when to "hide these things in your heart." (Hope you don't mind a comment from your "older sister's friend"... I was compelled to comment.) :>) I look forward to hearing how school is going for you, since English is "my subject" too. Blessings Rachel N

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate,
I hope I am still one of those who you would share those special secrets with? We need to have a girl sleepover again and I promise I won't call or talk about Jeff the whole time, if you promise to share with me those special things. You are my best friend! Love ya!
Elise

Morgan said...

oh and...

i think elise is a liar. there is no way she can go through one whole night without calling or thinking about Jeff. its absolutely impossible. and she doesnt realize that we do enjoy it when she talks about him- because even though we tease, we have to kind of vicariously live through her because heck- we aren't courting and only God knows when that might happen. so talk about Gordy all you want but yes, we will tease and we will tease hard.