Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Another taste from my long weekend.

Sunday, after going to my Godfather's church and hearing him preach for the first time (okay, that's a bit untrue- I've heard him preach, belive me you, but never in a service, normally it's just him talking to my dad, or me, or the whole fam), having a quick lunch with him, my Aunt Bev (my godmother), and my dad, and then jotting down the road to the airport to pick up Joel... I took my 35 mm camera out.

I caught a couple beautiful shots of Lake Sammamish on our way back, but the real treasures are going to be the ones I took of Brade, Joel and Elsa right at dusk. The day was freezing, but beautiful. The sun was just saying its farewells before it set. And my new, old camera was in my hands.

There are few sounds better than a roll of film loading. :) We took a roll, and I cannot wait to see them! That is one of the best parts of film (one of many)- you don't get the immediate option of looking (and deleting). No, you have to wait. Turn in your hidden treasure in a tiny black plastic 'jar' and wait for someone else to play their part and return it to you. You don't know what you'll find as you open the envelope. You may be disappointed, you may be completely surprised. And you all know, I love surprises!

Not to mention the quality of the shots, the feel of the camera in your hand, the sound of the shutter opening and closing, the film advancing. The next morning, I packed my good 'ol Minolta into my back pack and headed up to Rattlesnake Point with Rose. It added an extra weight and I debated whether or not to take it in the end. I was so glad I did! At the top, Rose and I captured a few shots each, and got a fellow hiker to take one too (who marvelled at my 35mm, and I'd like to believe might be purchasing one himself. He had a very nice Nikon digital around his neck, but was verbally enchanted by the sound of the film himself ;)

Anyways- another little delightful detail to this lovely past weekend.

No comments: