Friday, February 18, 2011

Something I've been considering lately (not a lot, but some), is what qualities do I really need in a husband, and what qualities don't I?

It's easy for us to begin to turn our "Lists" into a description of the perfect man. All our favorite pieces of all our favorite men in our lives... many of whom are in their 30s, 40s, 50s or 60s and hardly resembled themselves in their mid-20s. What is it fair to desire in a man- and what is it fair to require in a man who's interested in me?

I've been remarkably blessed by a lot of the guys in my life... and I continue to realize just how much. Most of the guys I've grown up with are excellent communicators. In fact, a few weeks ago I had a big revelation. I owe a lot of my communication skills to Tyson. I've always been a talker- but I'm not good at saying what needs to be said (especially verbally). It's hard for me to tell a person what exactly is going on inside.. or at least it used to be. Tyson is an excellent communicator, and I can recall a number of times when heated conversations could have easily been abandoned, and would have been had it been up to me. But he'd make me stay until we worked it out. And because we see everything so differently, it forced us both to become better communicators, learning how to listen and how to explain ourselves and thoughts. Do I need a man who is a good communicator? Eventually, I will need my husband to learn the skill- but how good must he be at it from the start (our start)? It's something I'd like for him to be good at. Or at least devoted to trying to communicate with me and open up. I'm good at pulling information out of people, and reading what's not said, but do I want to have to do that with the man I'll someday build my life with?

Another example, responsibility. Like practical responsibility. As in, being able to make plans, and communicate the plans, and act on the plans... I can see a lot of thos ein their early to mid 20s are pretty bad at this. It's chalked off as adventurous, or easy-going... both great qualities. But learn how to be clear... and don't leave everyone around just dangling off your whims and ill-planning. So, how great at this does my husband need to be?

There's many qualities I've been considering, and not just for me, but for my single friends too... what do they really need? Many of us have been spoiled in our friendships. And I don't expect my husband to be perfect, by any means... I guess for me it comes down to being able to be confident in him, knowing he's committed to growth, forever. And he's committed to me, and us.

How you see that from the start, I'm not exactly sure.

I have my list of qualities I like, but lately, I'm thinking more about what I actually need... as I see more and more what I'm just not. I'm excited to see what the Lord is up to someday.

No comments: