Thursday, February 24, 2011

I have been storing this blog in my head for months now.

STAIRS>

I love them.

How they lead from one space to another, negotiating not just space, but elevations. They are beautiful and complex. Stable. Yet often appear to be unsupported. They are visually stunning. Spirals. Curves. Angles.


(PS, I also love the use of black in this design.)





I have a list of "promises to myself" that I made back in MCs, and shortly thereafter. (I've mentioned these before recently, I know.) One of them is to design my own cabin. I think I'd love to design my own home someday too. But first, I'd like to buy an old home and turn it into something beautiful of my own. Find what is unique about it, listen to its stories from years past and families moved away, and highlight those things. I love combining the old with the new... the rugged with the fragile, the industrial with the petite. I love old brick walls, and even older wood floors. I love big beams, of either wood or steal. I love deep soft leather couches. I love fire places-- any and all. I love flower boxes. And gardens - though I hate spiders soo... my mom will have to help with this part. I love big open kitchens, and lots of (big) windows! I love old doors, that are made of real strong wood! I love knowing that what I am building, wasn't just built by me, but has its foundation in something much older. I love knowing that I'm just writing my piece of the story that someone else started long ago. I don't want to be the whole story, and I don't want to be its beginning. I want to come in somewhere near the crisis or the climax and see it all turned around. Or even, just be one of the sweet sentences that you pause after and maybe re-read aloud, even jot down sometime, hoping it seeps into your subconscious and plants a little seed of beauty in your mind.

Yes, I know this is something I got from my mom- while we have very different styles. ;) I love creating, but I almost prefer an old wood crate to a new clean canvas to start with.

No comments: