Friday, February 04, 2011


We want a sign that we are headed in the right direction. We want a hint that the things we feel called to do, will one day happen. That in fact we will suddenly look around and find ourselves standing amidst that great moment we've been wandering towards all our lives. At least, I do.

I just caught myself thinking "Aw God, give me something that shows me this is going to happen- whatever exactly this is." (In regards to writing.) And immediately, I realized, that's not his way. The story of Joseph came to mind.

What sign was there that the man behind bars was about to become second in the Kingdom? Or what about Daniel - what sign was there that he was going to be saved out of the lion's den? Or the three in the fire? What about Esther? How should anyone have known she'd be the next Queen? Or David, a king?

God doesn't like to write His scripts so bare or predictable that we spend the whole time just anticipating the end. He's a better writer than that.

I wonder if David, listening to sheep in a field, ever had the same desire in His heart: God, is this really ever going to happen? Can you give me some sort of small taste of it, just so I know?

And I wonder, did he consider the lion or the bear the answer to that desire?

1 comment:

samara said...

wow! that's all i have to say. this is such a good word for where i'm at... thanks for always being vulnerable and sharing what He says to you ;)