Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I am admittedly loving the Rules For My Unborn Son blog. I posted last week about another "man's blog," so I am a bit ashamed to admit I'm here pouring through another one. This one is better. It's funny. It's things I would want my husband to tell our son, full of honor, fight, and personality.

But it had me thinking today, we don't really get these blogs for girls. Or if we do, they don't go viral on the web. I think it has something to do with all the vast opinions on women, women's rights, etc. And I feel inclined to fess up that I believe a good woman can't be a stereotype we all try to fit in. I think we've made that stereotype.... different groups, churches, schools, departments even have their own. A good woman looks just like ______this. But it's not that easy. A good woman, knows who she is meant to be. And she walks in it graciously, and courageously. There is nothing worse than a woman who's walking out the wrong part, trying to be who she was never meant to be. To put on a picture of femininity that was never her, she ends up looking childish and silly, she draws attention to herself, and spends her energy playing a part rather than playing her part. Her energy is spent on herself, and there's nothing less lovely and womanly. (I think.) Eventually she gets tired of it and reacts, flinging far the other way. And what as she ever accomplished in the end?

But still, there are certainly things I'd like to tell my future daughter, mistakes I've made that I'd never want her to make. Lessons I finally got that I think I would have been okay with being told. Recipes I'd like to teach her. Perhaps most importantly, responses to mistakes and failures. Attitudes. Postures. Habits to never start! But so much of it, I'll have to determine when I meet her. Perhaps that is something to be said of Fathers versus Mothers. Maybe fathers impart those principals, the standards and broad strokes of a good man or woman. Mothers I think notice the details and seek to pull out the unique character and personality of each child. Maybe? I don't know, I'm speaking completely out of my realm here.

Ironically, Elsa sent me a text in the midst of all these thoughts, about having a "being a woman" themed book exchange party. With it, she sent a picture of a stack of books. The book on top, I own. So, yes, if you wander Anthro, this is certainly a topic. And if you are the artsy-type of girl, there are plenty of blogs to follow. Or the fashion-guru. But what of woman-hood? What of the words of a mother to her daughter? It leads me to think yet again, it can't be done, because motherhood is in the personal, between one real person and another. It's in the specific encouragement of a unique and beautiful individual by another woman who loves them more than self. Motherhood is about knowing a person's details, and teaching selflessness through example. It is giving strength, courage and confidence through undamageable love. And I'm not sure you can write that. But if you can, I'm going to find out how. One day.

PS, Did I mention that I love that blog? Because, I love it... as in, marry the writer type love it. ;) Go read it... so very good.

No comments: