Monday, June 13, 2011

Probably not the first thing you want to see in the morning (or think about), but this article caught my eye. One of the things I learned working at Starbucks is just how many calories we drink! You get customers coming in ordering 8 pump white mochas with whole milk and extra whip and you want to pull out your sharpie and write a little "Caution: this many calories and sugar may cause your heart to stop, and is guaranteed to enlarge your derriere." Because you care. Plus, you're afraid someone might sue you. While I was working there, I went on a Daniel fast for a few months. And granted, I know there were many changes to my diet, but the biggest one was that I had suddenly stopped drinking so much coffee. I had no syrups, and no milk. I could do an americano, or something with soy. I allowed myself honey, and eventually chai (and yes, I know that is a cheat). I already don't drink soda. I saw first hand what a big difference this made. Thankfully, working there, my sweet tooth started to disappear. I went from liking regular white mochas to preferring half the pumps, or less eventually. And the final touch, Starbucks put the calories on the board - thank you Washington state mandate (really). They also put out little pamphlets with the calories of drinks and food (not that I did a good job of memorizing them).

So, my point? Watch what you drink. I already know most of my calories are in my beverages... and all the worse in the summer, when all we want is a good cold drink: sweet tea, lemonade, soda, beer(!), etc. Here's a little article from the Guardian that gives you a bit of an extreme version, but if you haven't before, track what you drink for a couple days and add up the calories. :/ If you're looking to lose some weight, obviously change your diet, but my biggest recommendation: buy a water bottle, and keep it with you. Drinking enough water will prevent you from drinking other beverages, it will keep you hydrated and feeling up to exercise, your mind will feel less groggy, it will keep you from thinking your hungry when you're not, and furthermore, it will actually help you lose weight in and of itself. You probably already all know this, but if you haven't yet done it - do it.
My favorites are these, which you can find at REI. You really WILL drink more water, without even realizing it. And you wont get that semi-sick feeling from downing too much at once (maybe that's just me...). You've probably seen people walking around with them and thought "Do they know they look ridiculous?" Let me tell you a secret, they did know, but they've forgotten. And they don't mind. These babies are amazing, and will make you a waterholic.

I'm a strong believer in enjoying what you enjoy... I don't drink light beer, I make cookies that taste good, and I looove bread. Summer time, there is sweet tea in my fridge. And I still drink coffee (and not black). Enjoy life, but be aware. I just consider when I'm choosing my beverages and food: how much am I willing to do later to work this off? (Thankfully, I actually like to the taste of a lot of healthy food.)

But now that I'm getting a bit older, and also beginning to recognize the health issues me and my sisters are at risk of, I'm realizing that sometimes even exercise isn't enough to protect your body from what you're putting in it. :/ Ignorance may be bliss, but you can only stay ignorant until it all catches up with you.

If any of you have made changes to your eating/ drink habit that have had major affects on your health, or know of some good resources, comment. ;)

No comments: