Thursday, June 16, 2011

I don't remember who posted the link this morning on facebook, or to whom they were sending it, but I opened it somewhere around 9am, and then shrunk it until now (4:30pm). I've heard some of my friends mention this blog several times, and the book that was sparked from it, but I don't recall if I've ever checked it out. Today I read the article posted regarding opening doors. It's a fun site. I tend to balance between the truth that a man should be a man, and the less he contrives at it, and more authentic and sincere he is in his behaviors, the more confident, manly, and therefore attractive he is. He puts those around him at ease. The other truth I recognize is that manners are taught and learned, some later than others. And a guy often has to be told what a woman finds sweet, endearing, honoring, or... annoying. I know I tend to follow a lot of more old fashioned trends, as do many, but I love feeling doted, and cared for... it doesn't make me think the guy is interested in me, it just lets me know he cares. I've been lucky to grow up with some great guy friends who (almost) always get the door, and who aren't afraid to tell you that you look pretty when you've taken the time to curl your hair. And trust me, that can be very important when you're the girl who's not afraid to watch a basketball game with them with no make-up, or eat ice cream and watch a movie in your sweats (don't judge - it's what happens when you grow up in a neighborhood together - and truthfully, I'd never want to not be that girl too).

The article discussed opening car doors - and how awkward it can be - so I thought I'd state my own opinion- I don't find it awkward at all. And I don't mind waiting in the car for it. Manners do matter, not so much because it tells people I am important and well-behaved, as that it tells people You are important and worth my best. So, be confident, don't put on airs, but open the door, if she's worth it, she'll appreciate it... and just because you open her door, doesn't mean she thinks you've called her dad. ;)

1 comment:

Elsa Juliet Walker said...

you're welcome ;) I agree though... I'm totally okay with waiting in the car for him to get it for me. I'm also okay to get out myself... but perhaps on special occasions unless he insists on all the time:)