Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"I carry your heart with me,
I carry it, in your bag."



Now that I re-write it, it seems a bit morbid out of place, but I'm going to miss my little English lit buddy. Those of you who are English Lit majors understand the unique environment of an upper level English class. As the quarter grows the chemistry between students grow, creating their own little humor that plays off literature that is centuries old. You learn to insult by quoting a Medieval Miracle Play, or Dr. Faustus, you learn to point out irony in the words of Shakespeare, and you begin to toy with the Classics as a great playground. It's sad really, because few people will ever get your humor once you leave this configuration. (You are bound to be eccentric.) I think this was one of the saddest parts for me about graduating: I knew I would miss my fellow English nerds terribly. What has helped? I've found a similar (more mild and broad) experience with Miss Landies. I love her little literary puns. I love that I can allude to something, and she'll catch it. I love that even when one of us wasn't really meaning to draw from some old book, the other suspects they might have done it on purpose and has to clarify.

That said, we said our farewell texts yesterday, and when she sent me the above little text, I smiled hugely... but when I tried telling my sister just how great it was, I just sounded ridiculous. (And I believe she did get it...)

PS, Meg's taking my back-packing bag with her... if that clears things up a bit. If not, google "E.E. Cummings." If the thought just came to your mind "Oh yeah, the jewelers" - please pick up a book of poetry this weekend.

No comments: