Monday, August 08, 2011

FRIDAY.

Tom & Kate played at UCL.  It was a great evening, some of their songs, and some beautiful and fun covers.  One of my favorites was Jackson, they are adorable and for whatever reason, watching the two of them perform it made everyone there come alive.  I recorded a good clip of it, but need to discover how to upload videos to Youtube/ here.


Homemade Bourbon Chocolate Ice Cream (YUM!) to top off some other tasty treats and drinks. Since a couple of my friends have become admitted ice cream addicts, I've been thinking about our old ice cream maker. The last time I remember anyone using it was Kim & Vanessa, so that tells you something. (I believe she lived with us when I was in 5th grade?) I started looking up recipes last week and came across a few.... now I can't wait to try them all out!
SATURDAY.

I had left-over Rosemary Dinner Rolls from Friday, so I decided to throw together a little breakfast sandwich with Spinach (always), a fried egg with a bit of sea salt, ground pepper, and misc. seasonings and melted provolone on top. They were delicious! (Sunday I made them for brunch for Kate and I and added bacon. Of course they were improved.)

After a quiet Saturday morning alone, I had the amazing treat of spending the day with Em. She came into town for the weekend, and I still feel so blessed that she left a day open for whimsies with me. We started the day at Laudro (our first and last date of her being here), then walked to Main Street and spent hours wandering an antique shop before hitting Pen Thai for dinner. It didn't feel like real life to have all that time to just wander.
SUNDAY.

Sunday was church (amazing, convicting word by Dr. Rand), the above-mentioned brunch, the necessary post-church nap (I feel I've been starved of these!! How amazing!) and then babysitting the three titans with Kate. These children make me laugh, and work, harder than you'd believe, and I love it. After literally carrying, tossing, tickling, pinning, singing, re-carrying, tossing, tucking, pinning, kissing all Thing #1, Thing #2, and oh yes, Thing #3 (the one Dr. Seuss couldn't have even dreamt up) to bed, I finished the dinner dishes and caught my breath and thought, Oh Lord, I know my kids are going to be exactly like this.  And then, I smiled, because I love it. I love that when Abby was 2, her mom noticed her peeling the skin off her red grapes and wondered where she'd learned it, and I knew. I love it because I remember Will tickling my toes before he could talk or walk, he was a ham before he had words! And he loved cheese so much as a toddler, once he'd had a taste, he'd refuse to eat anything else. I love that Lizzie can make me laugh harder than almost anyone, and when I've caught onto her games (and I always do), she gives me a crooked sideways smile that says I know that you know, but let's just call it good and you let me have my way because I'm adorable. When she was two, she crawled into her parents bed at 7am, looked at her dad and told her first joke: "Dora, aDORable."  She proceeded to crack herself up. Last night, while cuddling with me on the couch, she snuck my phone off my knee(!?), excused herself to the kitchen, hid it, and then returned. I don't know how long it was until I noticed. She let me look all over before she informed me, "I took it. I hid it. We get to stay up 'til you find it."   And then she giggled. And I love her for it.   I love their playfulness and games and amazing sense of humor.   And that is why I get scared. ;)

Hope you all had a wonderful, relaxing weekend full of time with those you love, or perhaps a little well-enjoyed time alone. :)

2 comments:

{meg} said...

So glad you had an amazing weekend and that I get to read about it. Miss being part of your life! Miss even more you being in mine!

Katrina Hope said...

Miss the Muffin in my weekends!!! :(