Sunday, August 28, 2011


Today I grabbed my jacket, laced up my new Oxfords, grabbed a coffee at the Starbucks in the lobby and started off on my hipster adventure!  First of course I opened up my little Moleskine with my notes, scrolled through my iPhone notes from lunch with Esther last week, and logged into google on my MacBook.  My first stop was going to be Tartine, a French Bakery Esther included as a "must" and advised I get to before 11am.  I showed up about a quarter after and spotted it by the line that went out the door and down the street.  When I didn't know exactly which direction to head upon exiting the bus, I asked a young girl sitting in a doorway smoking a cigarette.  She kind of laughed at me, said "Yes, I know where it is.  It's down that street a couple blocks.  There's no sign, but you'll spot it by the line."  As I walked the few blocks, I realized something about myself. I'm learning myself.  I'm twenty-four, and I'm learning myself, yet again.  And one thing I've learned is I'm pretty good at reading people.  I don't want to stereotype, and I'm a firm believer that we see about 2% of what's really in a person and going on, but still, I think part of why I love wandering places and asking people for suggestions, directions, advice... is because I'm good at picking people out.  Who would know where what sort of places are.  And this time, I was right.

I called Mumsy while in line.  Tried about 15 times to upload a photo to Facebook.  Then, pulled out Zen in the Art of Writing.  It took less time for me to order, get my food, eat, and leave then I actually waited in line, but the food and coffee were both delicious.  I'd had plenty of time to eye the food others were carrying away, and settled upon the Bread Pudding.  I don't even LIKE bread pudding, but upon being assured by the man behind the counter that what I was pointing at on a nearby table was bread pudding, I got it.  AMAZING, peaches and blackberries and perfect bread pudding.  That with a mocha and a glass of water and I was set.  I think I only ate a third of it, but I was satisfied.  Being that I can't exercise (fed-up with this ankle!) and am starting to feel a little.... gah, I decided 1/3 was plenty, since I was technically eating a dessert at a breakfast cafe.  :/

I wandered the neighborhood for hours, stopping in clothing boutiques, antique stores, thrift stores, book shops and on... until I decided it was time to find my lunch spot.  The bartender yesterday had sent me to The Monk's Kettle.  With a 6-page long beer list and a relaxed and comfortable pub feel inside, I understood why.  I'd actually been looking for the pub, and looked RIGHT at it, even photographed it, without realizing it.  I was so enamored by the name of the hotel (Brade), that I missed the first-floor restaurant entirely.  Then, I realized I'd dropped my sweatshirt and was set on an hour long hunt back through all the said shops above.... just as I had given up, I saw it.  Amazingly, it was in a one-block space of a street I had walked all the way down- only for that one block, I'd crossed to the other side... and scanned from across the way.  Someone had found it and hung it on a parking meter rather than snagging it.  I can't say how grateful I am to that person! While hunting, I'd even seen another jacket hanging on that street... it was one parking meter from the one I found MY jacket on.  How I'd missed it, who knows.   But I got it back, and I'll be washing it.

I sipped a delicious beer, enjoyed a Flatbread with ricotta, basil, tomatoes and pepper (sounds common, but it tasted extraordinary!) and read and wrote some more.  Amazingly, I didn't feel rushed in and out by my waiter.  I had to ask for my check... I almost felt like I was being kept there... and I loved it.  A place that allows someone to come in and just rest with their thoughts and a pen is a great place in my book!

After lunch I travelled back down the other way on Valencia, finally finding the Curiosity Shops Esther had sent me in search of, as well as my new favorite shop, I think it was called Viracocha.  It was unbelievable! Old type writers covered the place, massive doors rested against the walls, books and books and beautiful old books, impressive unique jewelry, and a man sitting at a piano playing the most perfect music, full of curiosity, memories, laughter, and age.  In the back, there was a private library.  It wasn't too large of a room, but for a price you could join and enjoy checking out their personal selection of books, or sit in a nook and read or write.  It was full of plenty of trends, but so authentic and like nothing I'd seen.  I was in heaven.  After wandering a few more book stores and getting completely freaked out by all the massive pinned bugs at Paxton Gate (sorry Esther, it was cool, but also very creepy to me!), I stopped for my third coffee of the day.  The Summit SF has pretty good coffee, and oddly, it was full of all very beautiful people.  It was like a storehouse for very attractive men.  Only, being San Fran...  :/
The Summit SF

After that I took the MUNI back and headed up to my room, where I've been reading for the past couple hours.  I just traveled down to the Starbucks for some tea and fruit... and now I'm off to finish Zen in the Art of Writing.  :)  Tomorrow is my last day downtown, and also the day I see Megsy's face!!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.

A Few Favorites:
Therapy
Viracocha
Density
Tartine

There were also a number of amazing clothing boutiques that were so pricey I didn't bother remembering their names.  But my oh my the beauties I saw!

So many more restaurants I'd like to check out on future visits, one of which was called Cheese.  It's a cool looking wine and cheese bar.  ;)

One of the biggest highlights for me has been all the amazing buildings - I plan to give you a post just of the amazing architecture of theatres, houses, churches and more.  And of course, I've added a few doors to my collection. :)

1 comment:

Esther Maria Swaty said...

wow! That line at Tartine was even longer than when I had visited :) Its amazing that such a teeny tiny place would get so much business.

It sounds like you are having an absolutely lovely adventure in SF :) I am so happy that you made it to hipster street even if you were creeped out by Paxton Gate (it was just so fascinating to me). And it looks like you made it to the bookstore on the same street as well? Did you see the Dave Eggars store - with all of the different treasures in the wall? That was in the original email but I had forgotten to re-mention it at lunch.

Your pictures and stories are just wonderful :) I wish I was there with you. One day! We shall have an adventure in another city..

ps- I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on Mr.B's book.