Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I think my most common question for my children will be "Why?"   Why do you like that?  Why do you want that?  I can only imagine it will be hard for me to watch my children fall into trends and chase after fashions.  Unless, they can give me a good answer to Why.

If you can't answer why, I think there's a good chance you aren't doing something because it's meaningful or impacting or making you become more of who you are... but because it's popular and common.  This thought process has me wondering though:

How much do our trends say about our generation? Do they reflect a value system?  Maybe subtle, or not... I don't have an answer.  I just started processing the question.  Why are tattoos a trend?  Maybe it's just because it's cool, but maybe if we asked enough people "Why?" we might actually discover a theme of values... something our generation has ingrained in our fibre that makes us drawn to them, to their honesty, their permanency, their commitment.  Maybe? 

What other trends do we have - and do you think they suggest certain values or character traits? Good or bad. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you ever seen LA Ink? Seriously, some of the reasons folks get tattooos, is aammmaaazzing.