Monday, August 22, 2011

I just had a strange feeling... I suddenly missed Nashville. Bad. I'm not referring to Kim or Jason, I miss them all the time. But, the area itself. I miss knowing my way around. I miss knowing how to drive home from Kim's office to her house/ apartment. Knowing briefly a few places on the strip downtown. I miss the city itself, the parks, the shops, the personality of the place. But mostly, I miss feeling like I know it in some small measure. By the end of my visit in 07, I could have driven a good many places on my own. I remember the months after I returned, feeling a bit strange. For at least a year, I felt like part of me belonged there and part of me belonged here. I thought I'd always be stuck feeling torn. And to some degree, I have. It's faded, but moments like now remind me that feeling isn't entirely gone. It wasn't even that long. If you combined all my trips, it'd be somewhere between 2 and 3 months of time spent in tha beautiful place. That's not much, but enough to let me understand a small measure of what many of my friends must feel having two homes. I think it's just part of being a bridge, learning to live with that feeling, where your heart is tied to one place, and tied thousands of miles away to another. I don't expect I'll ever shake the feeling, rather I think it will only be compounded and stretched as I and the ones I love continue to follow the paths to their destinies. It's taught me to love, not clinging too tight, but also not letting go.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And boy do I have even more places to make you fall in love with!!! I will get you to move here yet, Little One!

Obviously mom & dad haven't seen this post yet, because I'm sure they would have posted ;-)