Thursday, August 11, 2011

I love my family. 
I love them for their details, and for recognizing mine.

I love my Dad for being the quickest person to apologize... We are two of the most stubborn people you'll ever meet.  He thinks he broke me (referring to my will); I think he more showed me how to not give in or give up.  The best thing he taught me was to be quick to apologize and quick to forgive.  Keeping your pride isn't worth it.

I love my mom for being the quickest person to turn a dream into a reality.  She's an artist and she doesn't even know it.  To her, it's just life.  To us, it's just mom being mom.  Coming home last night, opening the front door to find a huge spread of fabric and stuffing across the entry way.. "Hi honey" - "Oh, hey mom" - stepping over the threshold, and over mom, and over her latest project to get to the stairs, that's just a normal day. And when I came home late last night to find the kitchen bench re-upholstered... normal.  There's not a room in our house that doesn't have something she 'personalized' - be it the bench she built in the kitchen, the painting she touched up in the entry, the walls she learned how to 'marble paint', the 'fire table' outside that she framed, extended and then tiled... or the acre of gardens that encircle our home.  If mom has a sketchpad out, dad's grabbing his wallet!

I love Kimberly for her fierce affection and tenderness.  She loves like only women in storybooks.  She can out-bake anyone, and she will if one of her little sisters is sick with a cold, or a heartache.  She's fought to keep close even while far away.  She loves her family in a way that never quits and always listens.

I love Kristin for always seeing who (and what) others fail to see. She's strong.  I think she might really be the most stubborn of us all, I was just the most vocal about it.  I love that she's never satisfied.  She goes after the 'more' with a tenacity, even if she doesn't think so.  She's always up for something different, and open to discovering someone new.  She's almost oblivious to trends because it doesn't really matter to her so much if others love it or hate it.  (Strangely, she's also the most 'fashionable' of us all probably.)  If she likes it, she likes it. 

Just a few thoughts.  That was a terrible, tiny little bit about each of them... but it's one of the details of each that has me smiling today.  I think it's rare to have an entire family of people who are all 'detail oriented' and yet, I think we all are... in our own ways.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awe, thank you sister. Miss you.