Monday, August 22, 2011

Lame: I bought a book last winter at the Elliot Bay Bookstore. I'd wandered around with 3 in my hands, picked up dozens, and eventually walked away with one. After sitting in a stack of books for months, it finally made the journey with me on the bus last week. I was 20-some pages in by the time I reached downtown, and I wasn't in love with it. The story was okay, but the writer wasn't...excellent. When I went to update my Goodreads, I came across a number of reviews. People were not loving it. Great. Ever had that feeling? You learn just a bit too late that what you've been looking forward to, actually is only mediocre? And since I've already begun it, I feel I need to push my way through it. Thankfully, it is an easy read. I'll try to knock it out this week and bring along a better book for my trip next week.

I've had two situations this past week where I was asked to list my favorite books, or type of books. I struggled. I don't really have a favorite genre... I just love excellence in some aspect that I can zero in on while reading. And I'm especially a sucker for excellent style. I like it to be unique, strong, and gripping. It can be sharp, each word almost cutting into you, or it can be beautiful, leaving you a puddle spread out in it's language. I'm always grateful for a plot that will thrust me along, but even if it doesn't have that, if the writer can show me something beautiful or excellent, chances are they'll win me over at least in part.

No comments: