Thursday, December 02, 2010

Favorite Phone Call of the Day:

"Hi. I think I'm parked out front of your building. You're the big tall one on the corner, right?"

This is the corner where our building is (ignore the central semi-clear building-- that's not there yet).



We are in fact kitty corner to the tallest building in Seattle, The Columbia Tower



Oh the things people say. She tagged on late, "on the corner of 5th and Columbia" but that only narrows us down from the dozens of other 'tall buildings' in Seattle... still leaves 3 of us that fit that description.

I answered, "yes." Because, her statement was true about us. I wanted to leave it at that, but I did add that we are the silver building, and stated our building's name. (I was nice.)

Answering phones is my least favorite part of my job- but I also get a lot of laughs from it. I have to. Or I'd get incredibly cranky.

Tuesday a lady called and the conversation went like this:
"Good morning, LLF, this is Katrina"
"Hi, someone from your office called one of my employees at their house, I think trying to reach our office."
[PAUSE. I'm reminding myself that I appreciate people who attempt to be problem solvers and go getters- making that call. But you have not given me your company's name, your employees name, or our partner who made the calls name. Not even what the matter is regarding. Unpause.]
"Do you happen to know who it was that called?"
"No."
"Okay.. and your name and company is?"
"Alright...."


After a while, we sorted it out enough for me to at least transfer her call to someone who might or might not be the right person.

People suddenly lose common sense when they pick up the phone. And that is the half that call our office who I can actually understand.

*Be gracious*Be kind*Be patient*Be gracious*Be kind*Be patient* DON'T LAUGH*
my reminders I repeat to myself.

The most common is "Someone called me from this number." I understand this one... I might call a number I don't recognize that pops up on my caller ID. But it's still useless- we have 12 people who could have called that person. And I am not about to start interupting each attorney to check 'Hey, did you call someone? Yeah, they're on the phone.'


Also, we get plenty who as soon as I answer, start explaining their entire legal problem to me. And as much as I wish I could help them and solve their problem, ten minutes later all I can say is, "Okay, how about I transfer you to one of our attorney who can help?"

Oh man, the joys. The laughs. Usually I have to repeat them to Kristin. When I am super busy with a project, the phone usually doesn't stop ringing, and it is all odd cases that I have listed above. Those are the days I consider 'defenestrating' my phone (thank you, Tom Hallstrom).

1 comment:

samara said...

hahaha! i can identify. Answering phones at a dealership where people call and say, "someone called me from this number," is just ridiculous!

and i loooove the word defenestrate! it's one that Josiah and i try to throw in casual conversation as often as possible :)