Wednesday, December 01, 2010

I have a really great mom. I'm just thinking today of all she has been through, goes through daily, and presses through.

She is gentle to us when I would not be.

She loves her family and loves to be with them.

She would give anything, and often does, for us.

All I have to do is ask, and my mom finds a way.

She's quick to reach into her purse, her closet, her jewelry box, and her never-ending creativity.

One of my favorite things is dreaming up designs, and watching as my mom makes them practically happen. In high school, I decided I wanted to put my bed in my closet. My family laughed. But as I described it to my mom, she caught on to what I was imagining, and she helped me make it happen. We took the closet doors off. (Turned the room next door into my own walk-in closet-- oh the benefits of being the last at home. It lasted only a short time!) Her, my uncle and I, built a bed frame that came out of my closet. We built bookshelves inside on both sides, and we decorated the top with a sort of canopy we made from trees. It pulled together everything I love. And it looked incredible, nothing shoddy.

A few years later, after moving downstairs and acquiring the bathroom, I found this little piece in a store that I loved. It is an off-white piece of wood, with three brown faucets on the front. I decided to decorate the bathroom around it. I also decided I wanted to frame in the step up to the tub with boxes. It is a very small bathroom and that was much needed space. My mom pulled out a pencil and began sketching. Then, a measuring tape. Within hours, we were at Home Depot. I think I was one of few girls who knew her way around the aisles of Home Depot before turning 20.

Last summer, I pulled into our driveway and thought. "Man, our house is so cute, but all you see when you pull up is the ugly garage doors. Too bad." Then, I thought how cute it would be if our garage doors were the old-fashioned carriage doors that swung out. I knew my dad would kill me if I said it to my mom and a new design project began. I told my mom. :) But you see, that is what is so great. She's creative. I came home one day a couple months later, and our doors looked incredible. She'd found a way to make them LOOK like old carriage doors, with old rod iron hinges and white panelling.

I love you mom. I love your eye for beauty and your creativity. I think that is definitely something you have transferred to each of us three girls, in our own ways. I love how you are always so eager to help me make my dreams into something tangible. I love how you love my ideas, when I think up things I can't quite explain. You've trained me to see things that are not yet- and you've helped me make them be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."

(Prov 31:10-12,17,20,25-29)

Anonymous said...

Kati I loved doing things with you. You bless me with your love for our Home and how you appreciate the little things I do. But the best gift is to think that this inspires you.
Love Mom

Kristin Kelly said...

I concur.