Wednesday, December 01, 2010

I never thought I was a fan of modern architecture. Until the fourth architecture course I took at UW. The professor began to explain the goals of modern architecture, and how it returns to the same goals of classic architecture. As a purist in many ways, and a huge lover of classic architecture, a small spot began to open in my heart in coalation to the new viewpoint of modern architecture opening in my eyes. (too wordy? perhaps.)

My favorite type of architecture is what I call 'Modern Industrial.' I'm not entirely certain that I am naming it correctly, but I am fond of the name. And as a writer, I take joy in being able to create apt names and descriptions. I love the use of huge strong and simple metals and ancient woods that have ammassed more character and drama than a Jane Austen heroine.

I love huge windows. I love design that pulls, highlights and reflects back its natural surroundings. I love excellence. In short, I love architecture which seeks the classical three goals of architecture: utilitas, venustas, and firmitas (utility, beauty and firmness).

That said, I still don't like the all white plastic chairs that swoop in one movement (call me crazy, but I don't care to decorate in the theme of "mental hospital"), or much of the sparse and uncomfortably ugly design that people praise as 'modern.' If I spend a day staring at it and still uncomfortable looking at it (fearing perhaps it's actually some massive depiction of a body part), then I don't want to live in or near it.

But when I see buildings like this, well, this inspires me to once again embrace all that modern architecture aims to be. To use straight lines, and strength. To strip things back to what is beautiful and simple and pure.



I really can't get over how wonderful this house is. Dad, can you imagine? The connection of the house to the trees and the water!

People think that design is styling. Design is not style. It’s not about giving shape to the shell and not giving a damn about the guts. Good design is a renaissance attitude that combines technology, cognitive science, human need, and beauty to produce something that the world didn’t know it was missing.- Paola Antonelli

No comments: