Monday, December 20, 2010

I need a week to sleep. And maybe read. That's what I thought when my alarm went off this morning.

I'm in work, in a somewhat strange combination of clothes, sipping my first cup of coffee and trying to sort out this mess of work on my desk that greeted me this morning.

But, Green Eyes is playing on Pandora... so, thank you Pandora. A little piece of delight.

I was thinking about this the other day (surprised? probably not). Now that green eyes are suposssedly an endangered.... eye color, we are finally getting a few quality songs of our own. It's true folks. Think of how many songs are about blue or brown eyes... now count the ones you can recall that sing about green eyes.

Coldplay, I salute you, for giving us green eyes a beautiful song, so beautiful that all the brown and blue-eyed little girls want to steal it. But alas, it is ours. And us Irish-hearted, green-eyes lasses can dream about hearing it sung to us in some little pub one day... or is that just this lass? Perhaps.

Aw well, the song is over. And yes, according to some research my sister Kristin came across, green eyes are expected to disappear within a generation or two. She feels it my duty to try to carry them on-- but all I can say is, both my parents have very green eyes, and their results were 1/3.

It isn't looking to bright for the future of green eyes, and there will only remain a few songs to recall that once, we were here.

I say again: Coldplay, the few, the brave, the generous, I salute you.

2 comments:

Elsa Juliet Walker said...

Hah! I'll be standing with you girl.

Kristin Kelly said...

I think mom and dad's results are 3/6 otherwise known as 1/2. it isn't as simple as 3 kids with us. 1/6 blue (Kim) 2/6 Brown (Kim and myself) and 3/6 green (you and myself). Sometimes my eyes are green and sometimes my eyes are brown (and we won't even get into the part vampire yellow eyes :) And nobody sings about hazle eyes. :(