Friday, March 18, 2011



I'm not much of a Jane Austen gal myself. Don't get me wrong, she is amazing, but she turns me into a big pile of emotions and angst. I've only ever read Persuasion, and I can't even explain my feelings when I came to the letter scene. I think Austen ruins girls- all of us- she makes us all hope that the man who seems completely uninterested and even a bit of a jerk, is really just striving with all his valor to control and hide his "ardent" and true deep love. Combine this with the culture of courtship, and there are a lot of confused, heart sick little girls wandering around.

That souded bitter or hard, but it really isn't. I can be one of those girls... and I am laughing at myself as I write this. I mean it, but only half.

I love Austen. I just think it is better if I don't sit at home and read it and knit. I'm far more of a Lewis, Tolkien, MacDonald, Shakespeare fan. They make me come alive, and not just sit and pine. In support of Austen, she creates beautiful heroines, I love their wit and selflessness. I also love when people can look past what appears to be true, and remain true themselves. So, all the above said, I both like and dislike. There is such a balance in life to learn to really walk in reality, knowing that what you see is not the ultimate reality, but neither is the contriving of your mind and emotions. Learning how to hear the voice of Truth, and live despite both swaying feelings and heart-rending circumstances... that is valor and courage. That is strength and beauty.

5 comments:

samara said...

Ok... just have to say that Persuasion created a lot of "angst" within me too. But I reeeally think you should give her another chance. I think you would particularly like Mansfield Park or Northanger Abbey (which is my personal favorite). Austen's books are so much more than a guy hiding his feelings and a girl pining away. There is so much humor, adventure, and social critique hidden in the pages of her novels.

I am biased... I'll admit. But Jesus definitely speaks to me through Jane Austen and I think you should give her another shot.

Katrina Hope said...

Hahaha, Samara, I knew you'd respond to this (especially since I stole the picture from you). I am not anti-Austen. I plan to read all her books, one day. I think she is remarkably witty and talented and as I said, I really am impressed by the characters she creates. And I know there is so much more going on in those novels then I have yet taken the time to consider or admire. But yes, I will some day. I don't dislike Austen (well, in one sense I do, and in one I don't). I didn't even intend to write that blog... I just loved that picture and stole it and then ended up writing a very different thing than I had planned. lol. Austen is very impressive-- and so many young women I greatly admire love her, so I know there is a lot of gold in those leafs. ;)

samara said...

Well, I'm glad to hear that :)
I forgot to mention earlier that last spring when I read Mansfield Park, it had a profound impact on my ability to wait. I'm not even sure how to describe it, but something about that book is so anointed.

I really do appreciate some of the things you said though. I would love to have coffee with you sometime and talk about your thoughts on Austen and literature and so many other things. If you'd be interested, it'd even be fun to read one of her novels together and discuss it. Anyway... I'd love to talk about this more :)

Unknown said...

I'm just trying to figure out how you can knit and read at the same time?

Kristin Kelly said...

haha. And she is trying to figure out how you discovered the ability to do both before her! (re: Kim) Sister, flee from Austen.