Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Last night I had dinner with a wonderful woman I've always known, but never really known. When I posted asking if anyone knew about getting published, both of my sisters suggested I contact Debbie Kellogg. I did, and asked her if I could glean from her experience and wisdom over dinner. Debbie is in the process of writing a novel, she has several novels stored up in her mind, and she has already penned several screenwrites. I got a couple good book suggestions on the topic of writing a novel and getting published, two new authors to check out for the beauty and excellence of their writing, and above all, a lot of encouragement and joy... the kind you can only get from talking with another person who is in love with the same thing you are in love with. It was such a comfortable evening of hearing a woman ask all the questions many would not think to ask, and sharing the simple pleasure of something we both love to do... and will do forever, whether we make a dime from it or not.


Thanks for the suggestion sisters. You were right, she is incredible. Even had she not been a woman passionate about the word, the story, and style, I would have loved getting an evening to sit and talk with such an incredible, selfless woman. Writers can become consumed within themselves and the worlds they create, but Debbie is an excellent example of a woman who get's that life is not about me. When those people become writers, they can change your world and you trust the worlds they bring you into for adventure and transformation. (Think Tolkien.) I walked away with a great deal. And I look forward to buying her books one day.


Just wanted to share this revelation, and let you know, I'm being practical and searching out this destiny I feel called to in more ways than just pouring words out here.

3 comments:

{meg} said...

Please pass on the book suggestions :)

Kristin Kelly said...

: ) Told you so.

Unknown said...

Yeah ditto. She's amazing.