Friday, March 04, 2011


This makes me think of the Walkers. On the wall of their kitchen hangs a sign: "Nice Matters." How true it is. In a culture that values achievements, success and all those who can 'make themself', we often forget just how much it says of us if we can't afford the time to be nice. To the stranger, to our sister, child, or parent, to our boss, to the person calling with a survey, to the barista, or waiter. Nice may not matter if the person we are talking with is having a perfect day - but how often does that happen? Odds are, they're not, and nice might just make their day. I'm not always nice. But I want to be. I want to stop valuing productivity over niceness. I want to walk the balance of responsibility - being found faithful in all I am given - that includes the stories I am called to write and the hearts along the way.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Great post! Nice does matter!

Cami said...

This is always a good reminder. I feel the same way Kati - wanting to balance productivity and faithfulness with kindness & love.