Wednesday, March 16, 2011

MC girls, cover your ears.


One of the women in our office walked up to my desk this morning with a pretty green bag. She wished me an early St. Patrick's Day and set it on my desk. I knew immediately what it was. Whiskey. More acurately, Kentucky Bourbon. The smile spread wide across my face. Sorry if this confuses the image you've had of me thus far. But, I find whiskey delightful. And when one of the attorney's in our office invited Kristin and I to share a bit of his Kentucky Bourbon last week I was amazed by how smooth and sweet it was. The paralegal who had bought it for him as a gift is Karen, the woman who just hand-delivered a green gift to the little Irish girl at the front desk.



(okay girls, you can uncover your ears now.)

I decided I am going to try my hand at another Irish dish. Last night, after a bit of research, and a lot of grocery shopping, I started a traditional Irish Lamb Stew. Goodness. It should not be this hard. In fact, I know it wouldn't be this hard for a more experienced cook. After two hours of my hands in raw lamb (and my mom even doing half of it!), I started to feel sick. I don't dislike meat. But sometimes... I dislike meat. I've gone years of my life as an understated vegetarian. Don't get me wrong, I will crave a good burger and my mouth will water over a great steak. But sometimes, the thought of meat is less than appealing to me. It is more the texture of tough meat, and of fat. :(

Oh well, the smell that I swear had managed to work it's way all the way to the far bottom corner of the house by this morning was enough to make all of my work worthwhile. The stew cooked in the crockpot for 10 hours over night. Now, it's off to the fridge for the next day (all the reviews said it is far better after a couple days of sitting in the fridge), and the veggies will be added Thursday... just in time for a delicious St. Patrick's Day meal.

I then turned my hand to some Green Velvet Cupcakes ;)


And I found a traditional Irish Soda Bread recipe that I will try Thursday with the stew. I must say though, Irish food remains one of my lesser-favorites. So much meat, so many potatoes, so much time---- and so little flavor. :/ However, Irish beverages... much more flavor. ;)

3 comments:

kaylee@life chasers said...

girlfriend, you are speaking my language! i had no idea you enjoyed bourbon. you are my friend even more.

ps. that is a sweet looking bottle

Theresa said...

You amaze me. I am so proud of you for trying to cook these new (and hopefully) wonderfull things!

Katrina Hope said...

Kay, we need a date. Cupcakes and bourbon on the back patio perhaps (as it warms up of course)? Love you. ;)