Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I have this fantastic old dresser.  It was my mom's as a little girl.  She'd painted it cream and written her name on the back in giant paint strokes along with a friend.  In Junior High, Elise and I painted it blue and added our own names to the back.  The wall paper inside is peeling off around the edges.  I sometimes have saw dust on my clothes, and the drawers are tiny, but I love it.  I love that it was my mom's.  I love that it has our names on the back, along with our childhood friends from down the street.  I love the little old wheels on the bottom.  And I love that it's blue.  I love the shape of it.  And its impracticality.

The only thing I don't love is the knobs.  I never have.   And at some point, my mom decided to surprise me and paint them silver.  But, I was never a big silver girl.  I didn't love the surprise.  And I then loved the knobs even less.  (Don't worry, I knew it was well-intended and once I finished crying, we worked it out. Yes, sadly, true story.  I know I was a brat to cry over it.  Jet-lagged and homesick are my only excuses.)
Changing the knobs has been one of those things I've always meant to do, and I've scanned the knobs section at Anthropologie every time I've gone in for the past 5 years.  But the expense didn't ever seem worth it.  Yesterday, mom took to me a giant craft/ home decorating/ party type store.  I knew I'd end up spending money.  But, I have to say, I'm pretty proud of the purchases I limited myself to.  Here are my brand new knobs.
The photos don't do them perfect justice, but I love them.  And I even love how they reveal the old cream layer of paint beneath.  It's probably tacky and looks lazy to some, but to me it's more than just "looking" vintage, it's sharing a little secret about the life it lived before me.  It's reminding me it once sat in another girl's room and held her (mini) skirts and t-shirts.  I love it and I don't think I'm going to bother to hide them.  I will however paint those key holes something other than silver. ;)
Since you can't really see them, there are three different types of knobs.  The majority look like keys in a key hole.  I left one turned the wrong direction, as if turned in the lock.  I just liked it. :)  The second to bottom drawer has it's own unique two knobs.  Which truthfully, is because I was two short of the key-ish ones.  I planned to put them on the bottom drawer, but ended up liking them right out of place second to the bottom.  I think they just match this quirky blue dresser full of sawdust and secrets.

(yeah, sorry, those are kind of terrible photos of them.  You'll just have to see them in person.)

No comments: