Wednesday, January 04, 2012

I went to college to train as a writer.  And in my first quarter, I decided I didn't want to be a writer anymore.  It was the day my professor decided to do a 'close reading' of one of my favorite poems.  He took the work of a man of God, a beautifully puzzle of syllogisms, about love.  Christ's love.  But rather than letting the cave's wording that hints at a sexual love that all points to God and his love for us, the professor perverted it all by making it point just to sex.  By making the poem a champion of Christ being second to sex. 

It was then I realized just how vulnerable the writer is.  You'd think a written word would be the strongest keep.  But it's not.  I've seen too many authors legacies re-written decades after they've been scripted.  

I'm realizing today all over again my vulnerability.  My frustration.  That even here, people will always see what they want to see.  They'll read what they already have in their head.  And they'll collect evidence. 

It's very hard to give a person a new thought, to somehow provoke a change, especially when all you've got to work with are 26 symbols on a white page.

2 comments:

Kimberlee Rankin said...

Katrina while I know exactly what you mean I love to read what you write. And I do believe you give a fresh perspective and show others another angle, something beautiful that was hidden. And the last paragraph reminded me of Inception. Love you and keep writing!

Elsa Juliet Walker said...

Ty and I just had a conversation similar to this a week or so ago about the misunderstandings and skewed views people have sometimes. Specifically we were talking about how I can come across as blonde (unintelligent) and not athletic to some. But there will be those that do understand you (and me) and will love you and believe in you more than you believe in yourself. This is a beautiful thing.

And I love your writings. Luckily, if people keep reading they will always see there is more to you than a simple post:)