Thursday, January 05, 2012

It's true.   It's my birthday.  
The big two - five.

And I hope it's not selfish for me to say, but I'm loving it! Getting the constant flow of texts and facebook messages from the near and dear as well as those I've walked beside through some random momentary adventure... both favorites! To a girl whose love-language just might be the written word, this is like paradise. (It's also making it really hard to focus and knock out the pile of work remaining!)
I would have been okay if they hadn't started streaming in at 5am, but since the first was from a time-zone-confused friend, I'll forgive him.

Just thought I'd show you how happily my birthday began:

With "Happy Birthday" sung to me by Kristin and Fin smiling along - french toast & coffee with one of my favorite young families, and lots of cuddles and giggles from my tiniest best friend.  Last night was the first time she's ever woke up while I've been watching her, and I feel a bit guilty about how much I didn't mind her staying up and cuddling on the couch with our movie.
At the beginning of the work morning, I started to feel the sadness of today being my last day. I even felt that quiet question slipping in: "Did I just make a mistake?" And was asking myself, why did I plan this on my birthday!?? Adding pressure and emotion to an already momentous day.

An hour or so later and I'm seeing exactly why I did it - the excitement of today keeps reminding me this is a big day, this is a big year and it deserves risks!  

And the friendly notes streaming in are helping to comfort and maybe even distract me from the sadness of leaving this place... and especially of "leaving" my sister. 

No comments: