Friday, February 17, 2012

After enjoying an unexpected drink with a friend, I hopped on to a later bus than usual.  It might seem like a little matter of an hour or two, but it completely changes the dynamic of the bus.  The 312 at 5:20 is very different than the 312 at 7:30.  I looked around and noticed that while there were many open seats, they were all "unavailable" seeing as the occupants beside each seat were sprawled out in a very subtle message: find another seat.  I made eye contact with a man in his late thirties (I would guess) who pulled his jacket over and cleared the seat beside him.  I kind of laughed a little apologetic smile and sat down next to him.  "Saw me looking?"  And he laughed back.  A very friendly laugh.  I smiled, pulled out my book, and began reading.  At which point I heard over my shoulder, "A real book? Mind if I see what it is? I promise I'll leave you alone after."  To which began a wonderful conversation full of a lot of sincere laughter with a stranger on the bus.  And I remembered, this is why I love riding the bus, because though some days it smells terrible and you hang half off in the aisle and everyone passing by bumps into you and spills your coffee or may even verbally harass you so that you have to dial in a friend's number who you think is most likely to go searching for your body along Lake City.... there are other days where you listen to a stranger tell you all about their double major in college and the best they made against the "world wide web" back in the 80s.  And then they realize they're about to miss their stop and they jump up and run off.  "This is the best bus ride I've ever had, and I used to ride the 358.  So, that's saying something.  I was offered every narcotic there is.  By name.  Excuse me, what is that? Oh, no thank you."  I love riding the bus...most days.  Where better to collect stories than a place where you are socially expected to sit down beside a stranger for an hour of your day? 


That said, I read another great bus story today. :) 


PS, the man who kissed me the day before yesterday?  He somehow found us downtown again last night, in a completely different area.  I told him I'd give him a few more dollars, but no kiss.  : / 

1 comment:

anthea delvina said...

gosh i love the bus :)
and thanks for the shout out!!