Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Back of the Bus Book Club.

I sat in the very back of the bus this morning because I was more or less a honorary bag lady, with my purse (full), my soccer bag, and a bag with a gift in it.  When a guy asked if he could sit next to me, and I noticed Kerouac, we struck up a conversation.  What followed was a discussion of Kerouac, Carlos, Plath, and the Beat Generation in general, travel, and then Hemingway and his generation, Steinbeck, etc.  Yes, another woman joined in and we enjoyed a 45 minute book discussion.  A great one actually.  And it made me think how fantastic it would be to have a book club that met each month in the back of a moving bus.  We could pick a different route each month.  And when we arrived at our destination, get a drink, dinner, etc and then all ride back together. 

I mean, it's not the BART, but I think the Beats would still be proud. 

If I start a book club, prepare your $3.00.  ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea :) and I can't begin to tell you how this caused my face to be brimming with happiness.

samara said...

I'm in =)