Monday, May 23, 2011

The Brothers K are killing me! (I think that's ironic and witty, but I actually haven't reached the point in the novel when the murder occurs, so I don't really even know!) I read and I read, and I get nowhere. The version I've been using is double-columned! It's like reading the bible! And trying to do it in a month!

And not only that, but the ever-growing list of books is calling my name! Meg, Em and I were wandering the Elliot Bay Bookstore yesterday after brunch, and Meg asks, "Oh Kati, did you read this yet?" pointing to Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, a book I've had my eye on for probably two years and I received from Kim for Christmas. Yeah, Meg read it last winter. How about this one? The Help. Another book I got for Christmas and haven't got to. Meg read it over Christmas, in a couple days. "Nope, Meg. Still on my shelf" I have a stack of books I have been given or bought that I have yet to get to. I received a new one at Esther's book exchange party, Em shipped one to my house as a surprise last week, I purchased one yesterday, and was lent three from T today (that I had asked to borrow). However, Brothers K continues to loom before me!

This morning, I threw Fahrenheit 451 in my purse anyways. My version of Brothers K is due back to the library today anyways and I figured I'd need something else to read on the bus ride home. But, guess which book I read the entire way in this morning... and which I can't wait to finish reading tonight?! :)

Oh books. Some love them for the pleasure, I think I love them for the pain. That's probably worth you worrying about me over. But admit it, many of you love the pain of a good run. It's the same with a book. A movie, you might hurt for an hour, maybe two. But then, you're quickly delivered at the safe happy ending. Oh no, a book can leave you in agony and discomfort for days and unless you commit to the journey, you'll never reach the end. Should you try to skip, the end won't even make sense to you, let alone touch you.

Oh books, not for the weak of heart.

1 comment:

{meg} said...

I completely agree with you when it comes to embracing the painful journey.

We are quite the masochistic pair! Explains why we are taking a year to read the Normal Christian Life ;) I've been "almost done" for the last two months. Last couple chapters...definitely not for the weak of heart.