Thursday, May 05, 2011

I don't handle blood well. I forget this, until I see blood.

I don't think it is so much the blood itself, because I get my blood drawn nearly once a month (or have for years of my life) and see it coming out of my veins and into the cases/bags is fine. I am a pro at it. I am a soldier... as Kristin called me/informed me yesterday.

But something about a person's flesh be sliced open and the inside coming OUT, yeah, I'm queasy now again just repicturing it. I go weak.

It's probably a gift of God so that I wouldn't try to be a nurse (I would LOVE to be a nurse, only this weakness has prevented me from ever seriously pursuing it), and instead pursue writing.

It isn't even 9am, and already one of our attorneys has sliced open his hand. My sister and I were in the break room chatting with our boss (who had taken his shoes/sandals off and put them on the counter so that he could show us the move he learned yesterday on his Rollerblades- I was internally panicking over the shoes on the counter and reminding myself to bleach that counter!). Just then his son walked in and asked for a band aid... as he was squeezing his left thumb with his other hand, and cussing. I got him a band aid but then backed up. Thankfully Kristin was there to help him apply several band aids, and wipe the blood off the floor (literally!). The guy doesn't need a band aid (or 8!), he needs stitches or some sort of taping from a doctor... but he has a deposition in 30 minutes. :/

I feel sick. And I was useless. I am a bit worried about my future kids. Scraped knee? I can handle that, hydrogen peroxide and a kiss and a princess band aid perhaps? Nailed it. Vomiting, I'm there for ya. But a real good slice, I'm queasy and weak and trying to focus on not having to sit down. Kind of hope my husband can handle those ones. Otherwise, my poor children. HOLD on honey, let me call your auntie Kristin! She should be here in 20 minutes, you think you'll be okay 'til then? I'll go make you some koolaid...don't drip on the carpet, stay on the tile. Mommy loves you, she's just pathetic. Some day someone will help you work through this emotional scarring. :/

2 comments:

Kristin Kelly said...

Better than Kim having to say her children when they are puking, "Hold on honey, Aunite Kristin will be here in 6 hours to take care of you, until then just say in the bathroom and I will just stay out here k?" I am so amused that you get queesy at blood. It shocks me everytime.

Unknown said...

Kris completely beat me to the punch. I was thinking, I can take the slices, if you can handle the puke! I think God is preparing me for the puke with all the animals and their bodily fluids left around my house. At least having a husband adds a whole new option to the equation - I'll take poop duty anytime and he can have the puke!