Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"If you want to write, if you want to create, you must be the most sublime fool that God ever turned out and sent rambling. You must write every single day of your life. You must read dreadful dumb books and glorious books, and let them wrestle in beautiful fights inside your head, vulgar one moment, brilliant the next. You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads. I wish you a wrestling match with your Creative Muse that will last a lifetime. I wish craziness and foolishness and madness upon you. May you live with hysteria, and out of it make fine stories — science fiction or otherwise. Which finally means, may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world." —Ray Bradbury


I received Fahrenheit 451 at Esther's Book Exchange party. Or rather, I stole it. (true story.) I started it Monday morning on the bus. I finished it Monday night a little before midnight. What a delicious and provoking book. He's a tasty style that keeps you rushing along, a format with no chapters that refuses to let you put the book down, and a strange world that forces you in and frightens you by its resemblence to your own. I'll be thinking about this book for the rest of my life no doubt. For certain every time I think of Tumblr. :/

4 comments:

samara said...

I'm soooo glad you got it and read it! It's just incredible.

Trivia fact (which you may already know): Ray Bradbury never earned a college degree, but he was best friends with the library. He wrote Fahrenheit 451 a few hours at a time at the library's public typewriter.

Katrina Hope said...

Aww, Samara! I read that.... the bit in the back he wrote about it all is so incredibly sweet, he talks about how his daughters would always want to play and he'd always choose playing with them over writing, so he had to lock himself away at the library to write... and how paying for it would force him along. It made me like him all the more. And please tell Josiah I say 'thank you' for bringing that book!!!

Anonymous said...

Allll Right !!!!! Ray Bradbury was one of my all time favorite Science Fiction writers !!!!
That's my daughter ;-) Oh, and, by the way.. that "TOMMY" by The WHO, TJ ;-)

Esther Maria Swaty said...

yay!! so happy you enjoyed it :) isn't the extra material at the back of the book just the best? oh it makes me smile just to think of that book. btw I was at a time on blogger but am now on tumblr wonder what that says of me :)