Thursday, May 19, 2011




I saw this on Esther's blog the other day and simply loved it, mostly because that is what I feel this year has become for me. As I said in January, 24 is simply the point past all my plans. I'm not going to grad school and living in England, I'm not married with kids... I'm not any of the things I thought perhaps I'd be at this time. I hadn't really planned "24" out. I thought, married at 23. I should have known better, numbers aren't my strong point. (I should stop saying that! I don't know why I do! I was great at math. Gah- stop speaking mediocrity or weaknesses over yourself! That goes for all of you!)



Back to my topic, 24. This year, and especially the past 2 months, I've taught myself to knit, because I wanted to learn for some time now. I bought a violin I'm in love with and began lessons, because it's an instrument I've talked about wanting to learn since elementary school. I've spent more time with my cousins. I've stopped on my way in the door from work, and instead wandered through the garden, studying individual flowers that captured me. In the past few weeks I've gone to the zoo with my cousins, the theatre with my mom, and a Mariners game with friends. I've read more: books I've agreed to read for book club, books that I know will feed my spirit, the Bible, and finally books that I just want to read because a friend recommended it. I've written letters instead of texts, cards in place of emails. Had a lunch date with Dad, more dinners at home. Cooking more, and even expiramenting. ;)


24 isn't so bad, and it has room to improve. I'm learning that to make time, you have to protect your time. And I think that really is the principle behind all I am learning, with my finances, my clothes, my friendships and my time, often I've found I don't know where they've gone. I love to pour out and give, but I'm learning how to be more specific and watchful, learning priorities and simplicity. What we think we need, is often not a need at all. We live in a world of abundance and plenty, and yet we become consumed with buying, spending and consuming.

1 comment:

Cami said...

This is great Kati :)